Saturday, January 3, 2009

Uterine Fibroids & Traditional Western Medicine

I've always had heavy periods, but this time, it started in March and didn't stop until September. When I went to see my Primary Care Physician, I learned that a blood test I'd taken during the holiday season while being treated for bleeding hemorrhoids revealed that I was already anemic. I was referred to a gyno, who gave me a shot of Luprin to temporarily stop the bleeding. When the bleeding returned, she performed a biopsy that luckily came back negative but not before prescribing a cancer medication (that packed a whopping 10 lbs onto my already full frame). Her recommendation was for an ablation - a procedure in which the blood vessels inside the uterus are cartarized. Desperate for relief, I agreed. When the time came, slightly groggy and feet in stirrups, I decided not to go through with it. All I wanted was another shot of Luprin so I could have more time to think. I didn't get it, so I ran to the Obstetrician who had delivered my son eight years earlier. According to him, the ablation would have done nothing to stop my fibroids from causing the bleeding. Myomectomy was the answer but that would require a six week recovery. I didn't have six weeks. I had to work. So, I made a B-line back to my Primary Care Physician, who took me off the cancer medication, prescribed Progesterone, and sent me to another gyno for a third opinion. This gyno confirmed that my uterous and fibroids were the size of a three month pregnancy and tried to convince me to have a hysterectomy. A product on the internet promised to disolve the fibroids, but it thinned my blood, so I couldn't use it or I would bleed even more profusely. My last hope was a clinical trial in Arizona that involved placing clamps on the arteries that supply blood to the uterous. This would eventually cause the fibroids to shrink but would not immediately stop the bleeding, possibly taking up to six months. Each office visit cost nearly $200 plus lab fees. In June, I was laid off and Cobra was too costly, so I had to let it go. Even when I did have medical coverage, I had co-pays, a deductible, and co-insurance to pay and it all added up. I felt exasperated.

No comments:

Post a Comment